"Son of man, eat this book that I am giving you. Make a full meal of it!" So I ate it. It tasted so good—just like honey." ezekiel 3:3

Friday, July 16, 2010

The Gospel According to Lost by Chris Seay

I began this book with a preconceived notion that I might be offended by it. The Gospel, to me, is precious, as it is the news of my Lord Jesus Christ. I am a huge fan of the TV show Lost, however, and the fact that the author was someone I had heard of reassured me that the book probably would back up my own beliefs in the end. The book was a fairly easy one to read, not too deep in theology or even hard to follow if you are not a follower of Lost. It is under 200 pages and you have to read until page 89 before there is any mention of Scripture at all. After That Seay seems to compare the television show to the story of the Lost Son in Luke 15 more than a few times.

The book has a chapter dedicated to most of the main characters of the show. In the middle of the book there are color reproductions of artwork depicting the Losties as patron Saints done by Scott Erickson, a member of Seays church in Houston, Texas. I really didn't learn anything new about the show, nor about the Gospel from this book. It strikes me as being a ploy to sell books by playing into the most popular phenomenon on television right now, and oh, by the way, here is a bit about God too.

I don't think I would recommend this book to anyone, unless they just wanted to skim through it as a fan of the show. There are better places to discuss theories about the television series, namely the internet. There are also better books on the market that tell the story of Jesus Christ, namely the Holy Bible.

Lost is a fun diversion for me. This book was mostly just a waste of a few hours. I recieved this book as a part of the Thomas Nelson Bloggers Book Review Program. Checkout their website for info on how you might get free books too.

No comments:

Post a Comment