"Son of man, eat this book that I am giving you. Make a full meal of it!" So I ate it. It tasted so good—just like honey." ezekiel 3:3

Friday, July 16, 2010

Jack Daniel's Spirit of Tennessee Cookbook, by Lynne Tolley & Pat Mitchamore

I recently began reviewing books for Thomas Nelson Publishers. I signed on with them thinking the books would be Christian books, so I was surprised when my very first book to review was a cookbook entitled Jack Daniel's Spirit of Tennessee Cookbook by Lynne Tolley and Pat Mitchamore. I quickly saw that this book was much more than a cookbook, it was like a history lesson on life in Lynchburg, Tennessee.

Antidotes Like Hog Killing TIme In Tennessee, and tales of Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House share the pages with recipes
like Pea-Pickled Salad and Supreme Cranberry Salad. In the vegetable category the Country Fried Corn, Wash Day Casserole and Zucchini Au Gratin caught my eye. How mouthwatering do Georgia Peach Muffins sound? I also was intrigued by the several pages of different breads they included. There is a step by step recipe on how to cook Possum and Sweet Taters. I will be passing on that one!

I was delightfully surprised by this cookbook. It is a slice of Southern living, much more than just a book with recipes. I was a little reluctant to be accepting of this cookbook, because I have never drank whiskey much less thought to cook with it. After reading it I have found it to be a delightful slice of life in the south. I love the recipes, will surely try some of them and feel like the authors have preserved a part of the sweet country life within these pages. This book will be sharing the shelf with my trusted favorites.

1 comment:

  1. it isn't a secret, I LOVE COOKBOOKS. i especially love those that tell history/stories about the food or region they are from. i found a reproduction of one of thomas jefferson's cookbooks at a booksale for 50 cents. this sounds like an interesting cookbook.

    ReplyDelete